Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» HOW TO FIND HONEST CONTRACTOR --- CHEROKEE VILLAGE AR
SALES TAX PASSES EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 2:55 pm by Chuck K

» Visit to Cherokee Village, Hardy, Ash Flat
SALES TAX PASSES EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm by trout

» SCUBA DIVING IN LAKE OMAHA
SALES TAX PASSES EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 am by Guest

» Cost to get water meter & hydrant and electric meter with 120v plug.
SALES TAX PASSES EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 pm by Chuck K

» Restaurant Reviews
SALES TAX PASSES EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm by Guest

» Golf course restaurants
SALES TAX PASSES EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 pm by Guest

» Solar panels working great!!!!!
SALES TAX PASSES EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm by j3topgun

» Vacation Rentals
SALES TAX PASSES EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 10:59 am by Guest

» Village Mart opened?
SALES TAX PASSES EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm by Guest

» Cherokee Village Arkansas Gift Lots
SALES TAX PASSES EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm by Paul2CV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of CherokeeVillageAR.net Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net on your social bookmarking website

SALES TAX PASSES

3 posters

Go down

SALES TAX PASSES Empty Re: SALES TAX PASSES

Post by Paul2CV Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link. The article gives the details about the amount the tax is likely to raise.

“It’s now in the hands of the state,” Hamilton said, adding that Cherokee Village can look forward to $50,000 or more of revenue per year from the new one percent city sales tax, according to estimates she received from the Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (DFA) earlier this year."

I hope the money mostly goes to Code Enforcement.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:51 pm

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:52 am

Hi trout,

I'm really sorry that the outcome and turnout were disappointing for you. In the same way, every time you mention moving on it is upsetting to me. The Village needs a healthy political debate about its future direction and you are a concerned citizen who is needed for that to occur.

Voter turnout is terrible across the Nation. People generally don't want to vote on things that they don't understand very well and equally don't make the effort to understand very well. This was a complex issue and it takes effort to understand it. You could probably get greater turnout for what color to paint Town Center or the price of haircuts.

Apathy is a general problem in retirement communities where leisure is the primary goal. Ironically, however, those over 65 are the most likely voters in National elections. In the meantime, those who show up decide. It is called democracy. You have the right to vote. If you don't, others decide.

I will add one more provocative thought. Voter participation levels in the Village will reflect the "state of the Union." What I mean is that it is a symptom of the need to promote a renewed sense community along Mr. Cooper's plan and a common vision.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Pretty sad commentary that only less than 800 voters decided to make this decision for the whole village. That is just another reason why we have decided to leave the area that we once thought would the place to finish out our last chapters of our lives. It is very sad that so many villagers did not take an active roll to just vote.

Well I hope the city can spend the money wisely( which I doubt) only time will tell.

trout

Back to top Go down

SALES TAX PASSES Empty SALES TAX PASSES

Post by Paul2CV Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi forum,

I am proud of CV residents for taking the path of enlighten self-interest. I have been clear in other posts about why I believe this very modest tax is needed. Here is the story from the Village Journal:

Cherokee Village passes one percent sales tax at Sept. 13 election in Sharp County. According to Tara Draper with the Sharp County Clerk's office, the tax unofficially passed by a 10 vote margin, 391 to 381. The tax will help Cherokee Village's revenue and will be charged on purchases, point of delivery items as well as services rendered within the city. The Clerk's office said the results will be finalized on Sept. 23.
It is important to note this tax measure is a separate tax than the hospital tax that is being discussed within the county. The sales tax will not go toward the construction of a new hospital.

A group of private citizen's making up the Sharp County Hospital Foundation is currently working to get a measure on the ballot for a separate one percent tax to fund some type of medical facility. To date, none of the representatives have presented the measure to Quorum Court for their approval for the county wide tax that will be used to build a hospital.

Areawide Media will continue to follow this story. For a full story on the sales tax initiative's passing, as well as comments from local municipal leaders, please read the Sept. 21 edition of the Villager Journal.

Last edited by Paul2CV on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down