Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» HOW TO FIND HONEST CONTRACTOR --- CHEROKEE VILLAGE AR
CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 2:55 pm by Chuck K

» Visit to Cherokee Village, Hardy, Ash Flat
CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm by trout

» SCUBA DIVING IN LAKE OMAHA
CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 am by Guest

» Cost to get water meter & hydrant and electric meter with 120v plug.
CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 pm by Chuck K

» Restaurant Reviews
CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm by Guest

» Golf course restaurants
CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 pm by Guest

» Solar panels working great!!!!!
CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm by j3topgun

» Vacation Rentals
CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 10:59 am by Guest

» Village Mart opened?
CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm by Guest

» Cherokee Village Arkansas Gift Lots
CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm by Paul2CV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of CherokeeVillageAR.net Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net on your social bookmarking website

CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS

3 posters

Go down

CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS Empty Re: CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS

Post by mike Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:05 am

This is a common problem anywhere. Time takes care of this. I agree CE is doing a good job but I'm afraid of getting a big divide of landlords and those who are not landlords. Landlords as a group are not bad people, many in the village are just like you. They have one or two houses and they rent one out. Many have many of them and make a living doing just that. Nothing wrong with that either. Let CE do it's job but to rally the troops to make it harder for people to rent out their property that they have worked hard to acquire is just wrong and will end up costing the renters in the long run. Fact is, if it is harder to rent out properties, rents will increase dramatically and push people out. Now... some of that is a good thing to push out undesirables and drug element of course if they can't afford the rent, but it also hurts other people that CV was originally designed for by Cooper if CV becomes too expensive. There is a fine line, I agree, and one that has to be more thought out. Trust me, this issue is in the minds of many people all the time. I for one, would love to see the "hood" parts of the village cleaned up but CV does not the money in this bad economy. Again, a fine line and one that I believe we will debate for years to come.

mike

Back to top Go down

CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS Empty Another Reason We Need Code Enforcement

Post by Paul2CV Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi Forum,

A June 16th Spring River Chronicle article reveals the following serious reason why Code Enforcement is so needed in the Village. In fact, we need to staff and fund it much more to support the fine work they do. The issue is aging of wiring and increase fire issues due to the lack of Code in the past when some homes were built.

From the SRC article:

"The C.V. Fire Department has 15 firemen and a $75,000 operating budget to manage four locations (Basehart, Omaha, Onaga and Navajo), five fire trucks and two rescue trucks. All of the firemen are certified Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs.) Most of the time there is only one fireman at a location because of shift work, off days, vacation, sick days, etc. In addition to this, the number of fires has significantly increased due in part to the aging of houses in the city. Most of these fires are electrical in nature because the wiring is aging and because there were no building codes when a large number of these houses were built. The trucks have required maintenance which is even more vital as they age because, of course, they can’t afford to replace them with newer models. "

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi Mike,

You make a very fair point about the number of sloppy owners as well. I think that a lot of what bothers me is that we saw huge improvement a couple of years back when Code came down hard on junky properties and yards. It was the beginning of a single standard for the Village. We should not have the attitude that some areas get a pass because of either rental interests or that it's a pain to stay on top of it. When enough fines and warnings happen things seriously began to change in these areas and I don't want to go backwards. This is a planned community, not each one for themselves. We need a single standard. Let me also add that real estate values will rise on the high end propetties by taking care oid the lower end areas. Those concerned with values or Village image wiil be very much mistaken if they believe that these areas can be swept under the rug.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Paul, I know what you're saying and can appreciate it, but... how do I put this diplomatically??? The facts are that many of those homes in those areas you are talking about are owner occupied. It's still more owners living there than renters. The residents in those areas you are describing are not too well off financially, that is obvious, and from the looks of it, they don't care a whole heck of alot what their properties look like. That bothers me because I take pride in where I live and I also take pride in CV. I'm also not surprised the local LE find some drug activity around those areas. Let's face it. It's CV's hood, if you will. Again, it is not all the landlord's fault in the areas you're describing. I'm not saying the landlords in those areas are all perfect angels, but I am saying that I believe it is mostly an across the board problem in those areas. If you're going to come down hard, you'll have to come down hard on a ton of owner occupied households that simply don't have the money to pay the fine levied. That's the cold, hard reality of a bad economy in 2011 and one that is not going to get better anytime soon. My guess is quite a few more years of a sluggish economy at best and it won't matter a hill of beans who's in office at the top in DC during the next decade. It's still going to suck economically for boatloads of people. CV will not be immune but it will be much better than outlying areas is also my guess.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:05 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your insights. I can see your points and agree about cause and effect. Im not invested in any particular solution. But there needs to be a solution. Areas with high density rentals are really looking shabby. Those who don't maintain properties need to be leaned on hard.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:51 am

Paul,

Perhaps we need two things. Rental fees to the City for inspections and occupancy inspections prior to each new lease.

This I completely disagree with.

This would definitely raise the rent far greater than the amount the city would charge the landlord and rental agent for such an inspection due to the fact of extra time being vacant to wait for an inspector, added paperwork, extra gas driving, extra everything. This all adds up to lots of money and may push some landlords over the edge if their rental homes are just breaking even anyway. Trust me, that is the case in alot of rentals these days. With all due respect, this is a horrible idea. There are many good landlords and yes, a few bad ones. Like anything else, that idea would tax and hurt the good ones and make it harder for renters to find something quick, and with these added costs, those costs will 100% definitely be passed onto the renter. I would fight this proposal if it ever saw the light of day, my friend. CE just needs to stay on top of the bad landlords, and CE does a good job with what they have. These things go in cycles and what happens in times when real estate markets are down, generally everyone feels a little poorer, landlords and homeowners alike. There is a general across the board lessening of people feeling good about their property when it is down and thus dont take care of it as good as when the real estate market is firing on all cylinders and everybody seems like their homes is worth the big bucks. It is happening all over the country, is very normal, and is human nature. This will pass. I still think the village looks good these days and there is always room for improvement. But for for your idea, I give it a huge thumbs down.

Also, some of these homes you think may be rentals are actually out of state homeowners that have let their homes fall into disrepair etc due to them being more eldery and can't get here anymore, the children inheriting the house don't have the time or money to come visit it and keep it up, and also the economy not being what it is and people just aren't traveling as much. Lots of factors, but to blame it all on those with rental houses is a bit unfair and going too far in my opinion.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:47 am

Hi Forum,

I want to take up a touchy subject: Rental Propetties. With the housing market suffering, there is clearly an uptick in renting going on in the Village. We are seeing the signs. Code Enforcement needs the manpower to take this new level on and the funding to do it. This is not the fault of the renters or having rentals. It is the fault of landlords and our underfunding of Code. Perhaps we need two things. Rental fees to the City for inspections and occupancy inspections prior to each new lease.

There is a burn down at the bottom of Hiawatha, which is one of the three major routes into the Village and a huge eyesore. Does anyone know the plans for its clean up?

There's so much to do. Code is so in need of more support in funding and manpower. More than any other part of the local government, they have turned CV around. But there can be no breaks or we willl fall backwards with the growing rentals. Giving Code proper finding and support is essential.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Mon May 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi Trout,

That's great. I have a few more places i'd like to send those dozers. Wonder who paid for it.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Mon May 02, 2011 11:40 am

Paul they bull dozed it down last week. And someone is fixing up the bathroom area at the camp grounds. I guess some type of settlement has been made with the banks. Anyone have any news.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Sun May 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi Forum,

Anyone know what's up with the Swim Club and any hope of it being dealt with? It seems to me that it's a needed part of whatever resolution of issues will happen with Mr. Watkin's. There's no reason a community should have to live with that eyesore indefinitely.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:09 pm

It use to have a sign and listing the ordinance for weekends and parttimers. I use to use it, never had a problem. Most of the time it was pretty full.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:59 am

Thanks trout. This is news to me. Is it clearly labeled as open to Village Residents or visitors. If not, that would be a good idea. It could be intimidating to use an unspecified dumpster behind a police station!

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:09 am

Paul the dumpster is located at the backdoor of the police department. Just before you turn into the deli/market area there is a drive that goes down to the PD back door where they park . You can see the dumpster there.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi Mike& Trout,

Trout, thanks for the tip but are you talking about the dumpster that's on the upper level of Town Center more or less at the end across and up from the Water Dept. If so, my understanding is that it is a dumpster limited to the businesses. If that is not so, I'm delighted. Or are you talking about another dumpster that I've not seen?

Mike, the summary of Peter Martin's response about Chanute would be solved if the dumpster at Town Center is available and that really become known.

"He also told me that the big reason there is probably no can there or on any other of the more remote lakes is that people would abuse the privilege and dump their regular garbage from home there, so that is why SID does not provide one, he informed me. I never thought about that before, but it does make sense. You don't want a trash can overrun with garbage from outside sources, that would look worse than the little bit of trash already there."

As for short term pick up. that's good to hear.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:16 am

trout wrote:Paul there has been a dumpster behind the police department for years for weekenders and out of towners.

and to add to that, you can always call IESI at 870-994-7000 to have temporary garbage pickup service for only the time you are there if it's your house and you're only there part time. If you're staying in a nightly rental vacation home, there is garbage pickup service already in place and there should always be an outdoor garbage can at any nightly rental for IESI to come and pick up. You do not have to do anything, IESI automatically comes on the scheduled pickup day like any other full time resident's house.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:10 am

To add to this discussion that relates somewhat, the following is from 2 years ago on the old forum:

Lake Chanute boat ramp trash can?

Here is something that I believe is worth mentioning. It's certainly not the biggest issue to face Cherokee Village, but important nonetheless and thought I would throw this out there.

I took my son fishing over on Lake Chanute a few weeks ago, which I have done on occasions before. At the boat ramp, you may notice a path leading down to the cove where many people walk down to fish. We noticed some trash along the path and in the woods, which is fairly common for a widely known fishing hole. There wasn't an enormous amount of trash, just a small amount, but it was noticeable. It was what you'd expect, empty bottles, cans, plastic bags, empty fishing tackle packaging, etc, that people failed to take with them when they left.

As we left, we picked up a good deal of it and went to throw it away in a trash can at the boat ramp, but there was none. I was surprised there was no city trash receptacle at the boat ramp, so we put what we gathered in our car and left.

I got to thinking about that recently and what a simple and obvious thing providing a trash can should be. Realizing it was probably an issue for SID, I still decided to call up one of the Aldermen yesterday, Peter Martin, and put the question and comment to him about why there is no trash can at the boat ramp on Lake Chanute. He was very receptive to the idea and completely understood my concern. He told me that yes indeed it was an issue to bring up to SID, however, he would mention my comments at last night's special city council meeting or the next regular city council meeting and see what reaction it brought.

He also told me that the big reason there is probably no can there or on any other of the more remote lakes is that people would abuse the privilege and dump their regular garbage from home there, so that is why SID does not provide one, he informed me. I never thought about that before, but it does make sense. You don't want a trash can overrun with garbage from outside sources, that would look worse than the little bit of trash already there. On the other hand, a simple can would provide those who use the facility a place to throw away some of their small trash items. Yes, those who use the facility should be big enough not to leave their trash behind, but we all know there are those who don't care and will leave it anyway.

I still think a trial run of having SID provide a trash receptacle at the Lake Chanute boat ramp is a good idea to at least try. If it is abused, then I agree, take it away, but at least give it a try first and see what happens.

What do you think?

Do you think SID should put a trash can at the Lake Chanute boat ramp and at other remote park areas of the city that have none?

Replies:

---

That is something that has always irked me. Those who fish from shore at their favorite cleared out spot always tend to leave some trash around like an empty worm container. I have never actually walked around the area on Chanute you describe, but I can picture exactly what you're talking about.

Shame on those who don't pick up after themselves when they leave. I voted yes. See how it goes. It can't cost any money. I am sure there are 55 gallon drums that can be painted with SID on the side that can easily be placed at select areas like you have described. How much can that possibly cost?

---

I think that he may be right about that one, but still it should be available because the problem is worse than the potential abuse. Nonetheless, the trash issue is a real one for part-time residents. How do you get trash service for a week or two or a month? It's a problem, and it would be nice if there were a place to take trash for SID members.

---

Your thoughts?

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:44 am

Paul there has been a dumpster behind the police department for years for weekenders and out of towners.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi Forum,

I'm not sure where to post this one. It is finally related to Code issues. Sometimes it is important not to be "penny wise and dollar foolish." It might seem like an undue expense to have a public trash dumpster near Town Center but I think it would pay off. I believe some of the issues of trash relate to folks who don't have trash service because they aren't around enough or it lapses for whatever reason. Just having a public dumpster would make a big difference. Plus, it's just a visitor friendly thing to do.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi trout,

I'm with you on the animal control issue. When I first came to the Village, it was a big mess. There were wandering dogs and even issues of confrontation between people and packs of them. This was largely because Cv was a great "dumping ground" for unwanted pets -- often from folks outside the Village.

Animal Control combined with the newly emerged animal shelter made this animal issue a top priority and the change was enormous. I know Code was behind both that step up in getting these animals taken off the street and the shelter's mission.

Recently, there is no question of a backward movement -- but nothing like it was. I believe that Animal Control, the shelter, and Code are under resourced. It's not an issue of not caring. It would be much worse if there wasn't the amount of attention there is and they would like to do even more.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:59 am

Since "animal control" doesn't seem to want to fulfill their responsibilities then CE should go around and pick up those dogs that run freely in the village. Maybe the landlords should be held more accountable for their renters maybe that way some areas would be more eye appealing. Money (fines) has a way of making people pay more attention.

trout

Back to top Go down

CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS Empty CODE ENFORCEMENT -- TARGETS

Post by Paul2CV Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:52 am

Hi Forum,

Quite connected to the 2030 Vision Plan is the matter of how specific hopes in the plan can be realized. One target of the 2030 Plan is to create the best possible "visitor's eye" view of Cherokee Village.

I want to raise two question on this thread.

Question 1

What specific items/issues would you like to see targeted by Code Enforcement?

Question 2

Do you think we need more Code Enforcement agents or more resources put into Code?

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down