Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» HOW TO FIND HONEST CONTRACTOR --- CHEROKEE VILLAGE AR
Stocking & Fishing EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 2:55 pm by Chuck K

» Visit to Cherokee Village, Hardy, Ash Flat
Stocking & Fishing EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm by trout

» SCUBA DIVING IN LAKE OMAHA
Stocking & Fishing EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 am by Guest

» Cost to get water meter & hydrant and electric meter with 120v plug.
Stocking & Fishing EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 pm by Chuck K

» Restaurant Reviews
Stocking & Fishing EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm by Guest

» Golf course restaurants
Stocking & Fishing EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 pm by Guest

» Solar panels working great!!!!!
Stocking & Fishing EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm by j3topgun

» Vacation Rentals
Stocking & Fishing EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 10:59 am by Guest

» Village Mart opened?
Stocking & Fishing EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm by Guest

» Cherokee Village Arkansas Gift Lots
Stocking & Fishing EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm by Paul2CV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of CherokeeVillageAR.net Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net on your social bookmarking website

Stocking & Fishing

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stocking & Fishing Empty Re: Stocking & Fishing

Post by Paul2CV Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Hi Mike,

I want to take up this topic of stocking again. Does anyone know the schedule and what kind of fish when? I AFGC doesn't seem to have the info.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:58 pm

AFGC has that info and is usually available on the website. Also SID would know the schedule. I don't have it handy but can find it.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi Fishers out there,

I want to ask again. Does anyone have information on when our lakes are stocked, by whom, and with what? Does it vary by lake?

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi Forum,

When is stocking actually done and what exactly is being stocked in the lakes right now? More bass please!!!

Also, is anyone fishing deep in the lakes? If so, what are they getting?

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Thu May 19, 2011 8:18 am

I hear the fish are really biting right now. Wish I had more time.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Mon May 16, 2011 8:51 am

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Tue May 10, 2011 10:13 pm

great thread. i also need to go fishing!

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Mon May 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi trout, Mike, iroc,

I'm no fishing snob -- corn is fine with me -- especially if you use light tackle. What's weird in my experience is how corn works well in one geographical area and not another. Like using wet flies too and will even use a very small bobber with it on occasion.

So the boy/girl trout thing -- beyond the laugh -- is a matter of coloration?

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by iroc Mon May 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Couldn't have said it better. Man I think I need to go fishing as soon as the river will allow. Right now she's a real pain in the

iroc

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Mon May 09, 2011 11:36 am

I also use a #5 shot weight sometimes two depending on the current. Fish for trout on the Spring at Mammoth at the Warmfork/Spring, also at Lassiters area and sometimes at the area about four miles down stream at a AGFC site.(cann't think of the name of it) Since our property backs tothe South Fork we fun fish there alot. Catch and release, Redear and smallmouth. Practice flyfishing and just relaxing. I am not a boat fisherman, I like to wade fish. It just relaxes me more and I feel closer to the fish especially with our clear Ozark streams.

As to why they like corn. Maybe since they are corn fed at the hatcheries or it catches their eye. Trout are lazy sitting in areas that hide them and with least resitance to the flow of water. I have used wet/dry flies and popping bugs, salmon eggs but corn seems to do the trick. I use corn on the SF to catch redear and bass. My friend who fishes from his dock uses corn to catch catfish. I know some dieheart Trout fishermen would never use corn, it would be just against nature but it works and we bring home dinner when we go fishing.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Mon May 09, 2011 8:47 am

Funny thread I agree.

Corn is what I know and have used, but admittedly I don't do much river fishing, but I really think I would enjoy it if I did it more often. I have fished the spring a few times and it is fun standing out in the river not worrying about a thing. As to why corn is used, I have no idea. I've just been told that it works and it does and so be it.

Trout, why does corn work so well?

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Sun May 08, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi trout and iroc,

Do the trout prefer sweet corn? Just kidding.

Seriously, does anyone have a clue why corn works? Is it the color? Is it something the trout "mistake" for something else? Or has enough corn fallen in the water over the years that trout actually came to experience it as a food group?

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by iroc Sun May 08, 2011 4:47 pm

And use no weight? Do you fish in the south fork or the spring mostly? It all depends for me if I use weight or not. And yes on 4lb test. And yes on very light tackle.

iroc

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Sun May 08, 2011 9:35 am

Paul you know you left yourself wide open on that question. I usuallly find out when I fillet them if they have eggs or not. Also if I remember correctly their coloring is not as bright as the male. I will research this for you and get back. Tell your son that if he wants to catch trout around here, just use can corn. I put three kernnels on a number 6 hook and go to it. I use ultra lite gear with 4 lb test line. Sometimes I flyfish depends on location. I wade fish which is a very relaxing way to spend some time with nature. Fishing should be fun and not a lot of work. ENJOY.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by iroc Sun May 08, 2011 9:20 am

Now thats funny right there

iroc

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Sat May 07, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi trout,

Maybe you can answer this question my son asked. How can you tell a girl trout from a boy trout?

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:58 am

As to boats and fishing, yes, you're always better off with a boat. The good news is on these lakes you don't need anything big and expensive. You can be on the water for very little money if you look hard enough. Just a small rowboat or jonboat with a small 9.9 motor will be very sufficient. Remember, you do not need to get insurance for any boat that has a motor on it that is under 50 hp. That is why you see so many 48hp motors buzzing around Arkansas waterways. The owner does not need insurance, only registration. Boat registrations for a small boat like that is less than a lunch at McDonalds. Loads of money and boating do not have to go hand in hand if you want to fish on these lakes. Start searching craigslist.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:50 am

trout wrote:Mike, fishing over a baited field huh lol

yep Laughing funny but true.

that's pretty common among crappie fishermen everywhere from what I hear.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi trout & Mike,

It's good to hear that Tbird is solid. It's a matter of going when the boating is out of the way. I also sense that fishing off the shore isn't the best way to go there.

In England, where I did some fishing years back "ground bait " use is common. As for cedar logs, I hear there were some unhappy fisherman on Omaha when they dredged a few of them out!

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:58 pm

Mike, fishing over a baited field huh lol

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:33 am

Thunderbird is not fished out. Neither is Sequoyah. The problem with Tbird is the tubing and waterskiing obviously is not conducive to good fishing lol, but... I've seen plenty of people out when the lake is empty and calm who you can tell are experienced local fishermen in their own fully loaded bass boats. I've seen very nice bass pulled out of Thunderbird. Sequoyah is the place to be and I saw my son a few weeks back catch two very large bass on a rubber worm casting from a dock right at a neighboring dock late in the afternoon. Sequoyah is also known for the crappie but you need to know where the structure is and nobody will tell you that. The fish are there. My advice on crappie on Sequoyah. Take a nice large dead cedar tree into a boat in the middle of the night. Go to a spot you will will remember and drop it to the bottom in 15 to 20 feet of water and wait a few weeks. Then just like that you have your very own private crappie hole that nobody else knows about. Trust me, that's how it's been done over the years. The most widely known spot is just a couple of boat lengths out from roped off area (east rope) at the public beach. There has been plenty of structure dumped there over the years and that is a known crappie hole.

Last edited by mike on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:15 am

Paul trout need cold water and the CV lakes can not provide that. Very few if any trout are caught below Many Islands on the Spring the water starts warming up to much for them. I have heard in the winter trout have been caught at Hardy but I fish up near Mammoth for trout.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi trout & Mike,

Yes, I've heard good things about Chanute. Trout, i think that you are right about T-Brid. I also wonder if the motoring has anything to do with it. Has anyone ever pulled a trout out of the lakes?

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:32 am

Chanute is my favorite.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:42 am

Probably local and easy to get to. More houses on Tbird and other lakes.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum