Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» HOW TO FIND HONEST CONTRACTOR --- CHEROKEE VILLAGE AR
kopper kettle EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 2:55 pm by Chuck K

» Visit to Cherokee Village, Hardy, Ash Flat
kopper kettle EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm by trout

» SCUBA DIVING IN LAKE OMAHA
kopper kettle EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 am by Guest

» Cost to get water meter & hydrant and electric meter with 120v plug.
kopper kettle EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 pm by Chuck K

» Restaurant Reviews
kopper kettle EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm by Guest

» Golf course restaurants
kopper kettle EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 pm by Guest

» Solar panels working great!!!!!
kopper kettle EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm by j3topgun

» Vacation Rentals
kopper kettle EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 10:59 am by Guest

» Village Mart opened?
kopper kettle EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm by Guest

» Cherokee Village Arkansas Gift Lots
kopper kettle EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm by Paul2CV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of CherokeeVillageAR.net Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net on your social bookmarking website

kopper kettle

3 posters

Go down

kopper kettle Empty Re: kopper kettle

Post by Paul2CV Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi Mike & SRC,

You both would know better than I would the impact of summer traffic to the area. But I think its clear that economics in the Village itself are probably driven by a largely fixed retirement income stream. Many Villagers lived in the era when defined benefit plans really existed and not a few of them have worked for government as police, mail, etc. At least, that has been my take.

I suspect that you are right about vacation travel to the area. What CV has going for it big time is the ability to control expenses -- it's not a shopping, expensive eating out, expensive entertainment destination. Plus, housing is often through relatives and, relative to hotels, inexpensive weekly rentals. You may be right that many people will eat in, travel less, and so on this year. For the sake of our local merchants, I hope not as the local prices are very reasonable.

CV is the answer to anyone who wants to control expenses and have a leisurely vacation experience with swimming, lakes, fishing, hiking, or just sitting on the porch. ((I'd just like to do that with an iced latte.)

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:02 am

Yes, the economy has and will continue to have tremendous monetary effects on this area, no doubt. There is not a great deal of money here anyway, and to take more away cannot help matters. Recreation and other non necessities are the first to go. However, the summer season this year here may not be so bad. Vacationers are making reservations, however it is a different demographic and it is happening nationwide. People are still going to go on vacation but they are not going far away. Instead of more license plates from Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Florida, you will see more Arkansas, TN, MS, MO, OK etc plates around. People are coming from shorter distances, but they are coming. Let's hope for a good summer!

springriver_chick wrote:Don't forget the economy. I saw a post from another forum that Fred's Catfish in Mammoth had 40% less receipts since the economy took a dive. It takes numbers of people with consistency. The Carriage House in Horseshoe Bend also had to close due to the economy after enjoying a 20 year run and a 50% dip in profits after the economy crashed.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by springriver_chick Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Don't forget the economy. I saw a post from another forum that Fred's Catfish in Mammoth had 40% less receipts since the economy took a dive. It takes numbers of people with consistency. The Carriage House in Horseshoe Bend also had to close due to the economy after enjoying a 20 year run and a 50% dip in profits after the economy crashed.

springriver_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:52 am

Hi Mike,

Very thoughtful analysis. Based on quality alone, Words and Words Afterwords should be thriving. There's a mystery to the whole thing in my view. Certainly quality is always an issue, but quality alone seems not to be enough. I'm going to say something provocative now:

If it's true that alcohol sales would help lots of local places, then it is true to say that quite a few people have "extra" money to throw around when they go out. After all, alcohol at a meal is neither necessary nor inexpensive. So if that "extra" money is out there, then it is fair to say that prices could be higher for food items than they are.

My basic sense locally is that what is hurting and killing places is that merchants simply can't charge what they need to. I don't like paying more anymore than anyone else, but I think that's the root cause.

Think about, the only inexpensive places that are thriving do so by very high volume, long standing presence, and repeat customers who don't go elsewhere. Upstarts have a very tough road ahead of them.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:02 pm

That is easy.

The two biggest factors in my opinion are:

1) Winter

2) Dry County

Winter really has an effect on the hospitality industry in this area. The dry county thing does not help either.

That being said, not every eating establishment will be or should be serving alcohol, but making the county wet will without a doubt attract more visitors to this area than will those that will stay away. Studies show that the real numbers of people who stay away from wet counties is not an issue at all and nothing but a scare tactic by the dry side of that issue. I would go as so far to say it is a bold faced lie by the dry side. There is no net loss in visitors to any area that has become a wet county when it used to be dry. That is a myth and a discussion for another topic, not this one. The net gain of visitors would be very much to our benefit and to all of those in the hospitality industry.

I wish winter did not keep people out of the restaurants, but it does.

I also have seen some very poorly run places that you just knew would fail and they did.

However, there are quite a few that are thriving year round. Find out their key to success and you will find your answer.

To get back on topic, Kopper Kettle would have been the perfect restaurant to have a liquor license to allow them to serve alcohol. I believe it would have thrived tremendously.

We just keep shooting ourselves in the foot and then we stop and argue over why and who's to blame. To me it is just common sense and it blows me away. Oh well.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Hi Forum,

I have always been very curious what makes and breaks our local eating places. Does anyone have a take on why it seems hard to keep some places going and what we in the community can do?

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:32 pm

I agree. We always enjoyed it. I never had a problem there. I don't know the whole story but did like the restaurant. I hope they can make it work again.

mike

Back to top Go down

kopper kettle Empty kopper kettle

Post by karen Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:31 am

What happened to kopper kettle? I thought the food was good and I liked seeing young people try to make a go of it and stay for awhile.

karen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum