Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» HOW TO FIND HONEST CONTRACTOR --- CHEROKEE VILLAGE AR
SUPER WALMART EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 2:55 pm by Chuck K

» Visit to Cherokee Village, Hardy, Ash Flat
SUPER WALMART EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm by trout

» SCUBA DIVING IN LAKE OMAHA
SUPER WALMART EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 am by Guest

» Cost to get water meter & hydrant and electric meter with 120v plug.
SUPER WALMART EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 pm by Chuck K

» Restaurant Reviews
SUPER WALMART EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm by Guest

» Golf course restaurants
SUPER WALMART EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 pm by Guest

» Solar panels working great!!!!!
SUPER WALMART EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm by j3topgun

» Vacation Rentals
SUPER WALMART EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 10:59 am by Guest

» Village Mart opened?
SUPER WALMART EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm by Guest

» Cherokee Village Arkansas Gift Lots
SUPER WALMART EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm by Paul2CV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of CherokeeVillageAR.net Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net on your social bookmarking website

SUPER WALMART

2 posters

Go down

SUPER WALMART Empty Re: SUPER WALMART

Post by Paul2CV Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:59 pm

Hi trout & Forum,

There's no argument that Walmart overall has been a good addition to a 401K. Also, I would agree that there is a way in which Walmart can push local stores from getting too sleepy.

Still, there's a couple of things that depress me. One is that the overwhelming amount of stuff this major caller-of-the-shots retailer actually sells and buys does little to nothing to help and encourage USA products.

The other is that it is just one more drop in the bucket in the uniform corporate face of America. I like local stores with local folks running them. I like local creativity and enterprise. How many "mom & pops" give up before they start because of Walmart competition we'll never know.

I also would like to see more from this corporation locally in terms of things other than retail service employment. They have huge corporate operations with really decent jobs and training but these jobs and opportunities don't seem to reside here.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:57 am

The area would be in bad shape without Walmart. It does provide jobs both locally and around the area. It makes other businesses be more competive in pricing which is a must in this low income area. Businesses that compete with WM need to be brighter in the way they compete and not just complain. Also WM does give back to the community in several ways.

If most retirees checked their pensions and 401ks they would like WM more since most plans invest in WM stock which has done very well over the years.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:47 am

Hi Forum,

I would like us to return to this topic for a good reason. We've spent a lot of time and energy of the Forum speaking about local economic development. However, we have left the presence of Walmart largely out of the picture. What d you think the presence of this store in our area has done to local business? Overall, do you see Walmart's presence here to be a plus or minus to the well-being of the area. I'm trying to be objective about this one. I know that the topic of Walmart tends to bring on strong feelings both pro and con. Seriously, what is the impact?

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

SUPER WALMART Empty SUPER WALMART

Post by Paul2CV Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:00 am

Hi Forum,

WALMART is a loaded topic. We are fortunate that there is a source of goods and services in the area as comprehensive as WALMART offers. For those who do not know, it is in Ash Flats. For all practical purposes, it is the grocery and clothing store for about everyone. I would like to hear form people who actually have worked there and can say what Walmart is like as an employer. I also would really like to hear from folks with a "long view" who can tell us what life was like business wise before WalMart hit the local scene. My personal issue is community reinvestment. Does anyone know the extent of the dollars and cents Walmart puts back into the community or has thoughts about what more they could do? It seems to me that we should be getting more out of them in terms of diversity of jobs like those at corporate or transportation.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum