Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» HOW TO FIND HONEST CONTRACTOR --- CHEROKEE VILLAGE AR
VOLLEYBALL EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 2:55 pm by Chuck K

» Visit to Cherokee Village, Hardy, Ash Flat
VOLLEYBALL EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm by trout

» SCUBA DIVING IN LAKE OMAHA
VOLLEYBALL EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 am by Guest

» Cost to get water meter & hydrant and electric meter with 120v plug.
VOLLEYBALL EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 pm by Chuck K

» Restaurant Reviews
VOLLEYBALL EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm by Guest

» Golf course restaurants
VOLLEYBALL EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 pm by Guest

» Solar panels working great!!!!!
VOLLEYBALL EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm by j3topgun

» Vacation Rentals
VOLLEYBALL EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 10:59 am by Guest

» Village Mart opened?
VOLLEYBALL EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm by Guest

» Cherokee Village Arkansas Gift Lots
VOLLEYBALL EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm by Paul2CV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of CherokeeVillageAR.net Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net on your social bookmarking website

VOLLEYBALL

5 posters

Go down

VOLLEYBALL Empty OTHER RECREATION

Post by donjulio Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:48 pm

I can think of numerous other activities other than the ones you mentioned. Ones that are fun and provide exercise and can be played by anyone pretty much still able to move. I believe that any exercise is a must and especially as we age and making it fun is sometime the only way to get otherwise sedentary people to move. I have seen this first hand down here. We have people here who are in their 60s and older who have been behind desks for 45 years and are now retired. They show up for volleyball and sometimes only make it through 1 game and have to sit for the day. If we can get them back the first time without giving up, in 4 or 5 months we have a totally new person and they know it. Some say they feel better than they have ever felt. We have a great group of men and women who play together, party together and are like a family. Most can’t wait for the next volleyball day.

donjulio

Back to top Go down

VOLLEYBALL Empty Re: VOLLEYBALL

Post by Paul2CV Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:00 pm

This whole topic is interesting about what recreations other than golf, boating, and swimming might be popular in CV as it is now configured.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:51 am

Absolutely.

mike

Back to top Go down

VOLLEYBALL Empty VOLLEYBALL

Post by donjulio Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:22 pm

Would you join, Mike?

donjulio

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:05 am

Lol. I think shuffleboard went out with the old one story 1950s style condos in Ft Lauderdale! I haven't seen anyone do that since I was a little kid. Just kidding. Hey for real, tennis and golf are very active in the village, and it is true, the golf courses are uncrowded. No joke. That is huge benefit and one that the villagers like to keep quiet. I still say there is no reason you couldn't start a volleyball club here. I believe you would be surprised at how many would join you.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by donjulio Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:42 am

Paul2CV wrote:Hi Forum,

The subject of Volley Ball also brings up the most unused relic of the former days -- the Shuffle Board. As best as I can tell, this once popular pass time has fallen off the radar. I liked doing it in the pass. Is anyone at all interested in this activity any more?

Not even shuffleboard anymore? This begs the question “What do you do there”? It sounds like “Active” has been removed from “Retirement Village”. I noticed while I was looking at various retirement villages around the U.S. that CV seems to be the only one where the golf courses are not crowded. I though that was a little strange as pretty much all the other ones required tee times electronically and a week in advance. What about tennis, swimming or any other activities, other than the trip to Wal Mart the restaurant or the drive to Missouri? I get the feeling that maybe if shuffleboard is too strenuous volleyball is definitely out. I can do fishing though.

donjulio

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi Forum,

The subject of Volley Ball also brings up the most unused relic of the former days -- the Shuffle Board. As best as I can tell, this once popular pass time has fallen off the radar. I liked doing it in the pass. Is anyone at all interested in this activity any more?

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by donjulio Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:18 am

Thanks again for your comments on starting a volleyball club. I would like to see if there is any interest after I get there, if not, oh well. I am sure I can find other things to keep me occupied although I do like most moderatly active sports and activities. I suspect I will live on the golf courses though. Where I currently live a round of golf is around $50.00 not counting the cart or caddy. You can walk if you want but a caddy is manditory. The reason for the caddy is because this is Mexico and this is providing employment, the caddy is about $7.00 U.S. The Mexican's will never believe that all gringos aren't rich.

donjulio

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:43 am

Yes, the golf courses here are uncrowded, that's a fact, and it is not a rich man's sport here, by an means. It is very reasonable for what you get. You will love it and congrats on your upcoming move to CV!

As to volleyball, I believe Los Indios (a timeshare area in CV) has a volleyball court and is probably not used very much. I think this is where you can "take the ball and run with it" or "spike it" to get an active club started. Start with SID, go to some city meeting and talk to people, and I don't see why you couldn't start a club and get it up and running. The equipment is cheap, you can but it yourself or get the group to pitch in, and the city can find a place for it. Get the city's approval, find a Boy Scout who needs his project for Eagle, and get it done. This is all very doable. Go for it!

Also, check out this link of other clubs and start calling them to see if anybody knows of anything and to maybe steer you in the right direction.

http://www.cherokeevillage.org/clubs.htm

Last edited by mike on Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by donjulio Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:21 pm

Paul2CV wrote:Hi Donjulio,

I agree with trout that volley ball might bring urgency to having a Medical Center. lol But seriously, there are right now outdoor areas unused which could be converted. One is a basket ball court. In terms of inside volley ball, Omaha's gym would be perfect and you could start a club.

I prefer golf but have been playing volleyball for the past 4 years and really enjoy it. It is a pretty good workout but not overly so. We currently play on two sand courts and have anywhere from 12 to 35 players show up. I am 64 and fairly young for this group. We have people in their late 70's and a couple in their 80's. We all play at our ability and everyone is accepting of others limitations. We play 3 days a week and the much better players play two days a week, great workout. We do have a Red Cross a block away and treatment is free unless you don't make it. This is Mexico so even funerals are dirt cheap and we do try to time them as not to interfere with our regular volleyball days. So, how is shuffleboard?

donjulio

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi Donjulio,

I agree with trout that volley ball might bring urgency to having a Medical Center. lol But seriously, there are right now outdoor areas unused which could be converted. One is a basket ball court. In terms of inside volley ball, Omaha's gym would be perfect and you could start a club.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:05 pm

This being a "older retirement" area volley ball may not be in the best interest of the residents since we don't have a hospital close by. (lol)

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by donjulio Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:24 pm

Chuck K wrote:Hi donjulio, Another great question. I don't think there is a spot, but it would be nice if the Village set one up at the Omaha Center area or near the Baseheart Fire Station.

Are there any team sports played in the Village? I was just wondering on popular team activities with good participation. I really enjoy golf and am looking forward to it. Where I currently live, golf is still a rich man's sport which pretty much leaves me out. I also notice a common thread that suggests that the courses are uncrowded, sounds great to me.

donjulio

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck K Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi donjulio, Another great question. I don't think there is a spot, but it would be nice if the Village set one up at the Omaha Center area or near the Baseheart Fire Station.

Chuck K

Back to top Go down

VOLLEYBALL Empty VOLLEYBALL

Post by donjulio Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Just wondering if volleyball is played in the village anywhere.

donjulio

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum