Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» HOW TO FIND HONEST CONTRACTOR --- CHEROKEE VILLAGE AR
Making a Living in Spring River Country EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 2:55 pm by Chuck K

» Visit to Cherokee Village, Hardy, Ash Flat
Making a Living in Spring River Country EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm by trout

» SCUBA DIVING IN LAKE OMAHA
Making a Living in Spring River Country EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 am by Guest

» Cost to get water meter & hydrant and electric meter with 120v plug.
Making a Living in Spring River Country EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 pm by Chuck K

» Restaurant Reviews
Making a Living in Spring River Country EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm by Guest

» Golf course restaurants
Making a Living in Spring River Country EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 pm by Guest

» Solar panels working great!!!!!
Making a Living in Spring River Country EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm by j3topgun

» Vacation Rentals
Making a Living in Spring River Country EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 10:59 am by Guest

» Village Mart opened?
Making a Living in Spring River Country EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm by Guest

» Cherokee Village Arkansas Gift Lots
Making a Living in Spring River Country EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm by Paul2CV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of CherokeeVillageAR.net Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net on your social bookmarking website

Making a Living in Spring River Country

5 posters

Go down

Making a Living in Spring River Country Empty Re: Making a Living in Spring River Country

Post by Paul2CV Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:18 am

Hi there,

I sure have nothing against "walking sticks." Critters like that keeps life interesting! They don't call it the "Natural State" for nothing. Great video. Thanks for sharing.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Making a Living in Spring River Country Empty Re: Making a Living in Spring River Country

Post by marlenedegrood Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:42 am

Paul2CV wrote:
The other point trout makes about the "Natural State" brought back a memory of the first "insect" that greeted me when I first moved into the house. I'd never seen one of these guys before. Here's a picture:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2835409170070645214NKsOyV

That is a "Walking Stick" .... harmless and gentle. Here's a link to a little video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-5leu9jFcU

marlenedegrood

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 am

Hi Forum,

This could easily be posted under "health care" and the need for a full service hospital in the area. There is a recent article on the 10 Best & Most Affordable Places to Live in America. Here's a section of the article that placed one County in Arkansas as number 8 in the Nation. Note what a major source of employment is-- Medical Facilities:

The Arkansas River runs through Pulaski County, providing opportunities for boating, fishing, and hiking. U.S. Census data show that the health-care and retail sectors are major employers in the area, which is located in the geographic center of Arkansas. According to the county website, medical facilities and practices employ more than 34,000 people in Pulaski County. Little Rock is home to such major health facilities as the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Baptist Medical Center, John McClelland Veteran's Affairs Hospital, St. Vincent Infirmary Center, and the Arkansas Heart Hospital. http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-best-affordable-places-2011.html

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:56 pm

another great posting. i agree with the analysis. i was at lakeview this morning, and of course had coffee and breakfast. creature of habit and convenience, driving to hardy is too far for coffee when i am in cv. if i'm in hardy and want a cup of coffee, i'm not driving to ash flat. i also do not spend 3 bucks on a cup of coffee if i can help it. and i love good coffee. i also do not believe coffee is a destination, so the store does not dictate. in other words, starbucks i dont drive out of the way to get it, sorry. a few tweaks to words (price points and product) and they would have more business than they can handle. the concept is great. it can be even better.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi SRG,

Your market analysis seems really sound. The owner is a sharp and highly motivated fellow. He may well be reading and perhaps open to what you have to say. As one coffee snob to another, I get your point there. What I find most curious about Word and Words Afterwards is the clear need for such a place. I mean by that, an internet cafe/local talent place. It's real friendly too. Thursday night there is tons of fun. I've heard some amazing stuff -- some posted on this Forum. The "kids" sure need a solid place to go and hang. Adults too. I hope this place gets fully anchored yet.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Making a Living in Spring River Country Empty Words and AfterWords

Post by springriver_chick Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:24 pm

It's a great place--especially since its the only cafe I know of that has Wi-Fi. That makes it nice for part-timers and vacationers like us who dont splurge for internet at a 2nd home and need to check work emails. We like the outside patio, too--they did a really nice job on that. I will add that it was probably a year
before we ever patronized Words, though, and that was because I heard about Wi-Fi through a small print ad. The reason? One-- it's not really visible from the
street. We're creatures of habit. our place is in Cherokee Village and it's just easy to drive down the street to the Lakeview Dinette for a full breakfast and coffee. The thought of driving to Hardy might as well be the same as driving to Jonesboro. However, I really am a coffee snob, so I like all the fancy coffee drinks at Words. The problem is--what's for breakfast, and for a$3 cup of coffee, I want more choices besides muffins. One of the joys of visiting the Spring River area from the big city is getting stuff at lower cost. A $3 cup of cappachino is a bit painful. If I were the owner, I would also tweak the lunch and dinner menu. The price points are a little high--wraps for $8. I just dont think a wrap reaches a wide enough audience for the demographics of Hardy. I think I would serve more pub-style food--hamburgers, nachos, daily lunch plates, etc. Another reason--putting my MBA into action here--branding is everything. If I were the owner, I would re-name it. What the heck is a "Words and Afterwords"? I understand the whole connection with his bookstore, but it doesn't represent what it is. And I'm sure plenty of people love open-mic, but you wont see me there on Thursday nites because i hate karaoke with a passion! I would improve the signage, may be put a big billboard up before entering Hardy or even in Hardy and keep doing promotional type nights. I heard the Olde Hardy Cafe' has been sold and may be opening in the near future--competition!

springriver_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:47 am

Hi Forum,

Back to making a living. I seriously can't figure out why Words and Words Afterwards isn't packed. To me it is a barometer of one level of what's possible. However, I still think the basic concept of that kind of coffee shop, good quality food, internet, music scene can be made to work with the right forces in play. And it should happen there.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Making a Living in Spring River Country Empty Paul's serious insects

Post by springriver_chick Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:09 pm

hey--that was pretty funny. I got a good laugh out of it

springriver_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:33 am

Hi Forum,

Now if you want to check out some serious insects, here's the definitive collection:

http://www.freakingnews.com/Insects-Pictures--683.asp

They take "Natural State" to a whole new level!

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi SPG,

Don't know if they bite -- didn't want to find out! The major thing is that they can be huge. Mine was about 8 inches. It sure was a crash course in the "Natural State."

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Making a Living in Spring River Country Empty stick bug

Post by springriver_chick Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:29 pm

he sure is camoflauged. Does he bite?

springriver_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by In JB Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Good luck to you. The B and B sounds like a decent idea. It would take some hussle and getting to know the right people but it;s a good idea.

In JB

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi Forum,

I think that trout is really on to something here - -especially if you can combine under one B&B roof fishing, hiking, touring. shopping, wildlife, etc.

The other point trout makes about the "Natural State" brought back a memory of the first "insect" that greeted me when I first moved into the house. I'd never seen one of these guys before. Here's a picture:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2835409170070645214NKsOyV

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:20 pm

I am wondering why someone has not opened a bed/breakfast/ for hunting,fishing, photography and wildlife trips. I could see a small
B and B that would provide hunting trips and fishing trips during the seasons. Also provide photography workshops year around. Also provide trips for high school and college on wildlife, plants and insects in the area. This area is alive with nature and could provide a nice healthy living for someone. Also trips for artist could be added. One of the small motels that in the area would be the starting point and I would think working with the local merchants on meals, trips, shopping could make good packages. Families could come and dad goes fishing mom goes shopping or fishing kids go on a wildlife safari . Just and idea.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi src,

Just one further thought. The fact is that you may have a genuine advantage in working with local realtors. As someone from the "outside" you have a take on what someone from the "outside" might want to know. You would also be sharing a different perspective from local people but still coming from a love of the area.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Making a Living in Spring River Country Empty Thanks

Post by springriver_chick Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Thanks, Paul. The teaming with realtors is a great idea.

springriver_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi SRC,

Great idea and interesting post. One thought that I would have is to offer this service to realtors who have outside clients who want to "get a sense of the area" and would like some guidance from someone who had the time to tour with them. It also seems to me that this whole concept would be a good idea as an add-on to any "welcoming committee" to Cherokee Village or church welcoming new folks to the community. Working with the realtors seems the best way to get a business model going. You would be serving mutual interests.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:05 am

Maybe others can expand on this also. It's a great topic on how hard it is or isn't to start up your own business in this area. I always say go for your dreams.

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:03 am

That's a very interesting idea. My first thought would be that you would either need to be an expert on the area to layout a route of highly interesting places etc or you would have to employ such a person. Local lore and knowledge of certain parts of the river etc. Being such a rural area and this would only be good for summertime, it would take some good research to see how feasible an idea it is. It's a great idea, but would there be enough paying people to make it profitable?

mike

Back to top Go down

Making a Living in Spring River Country Empty Making a Living in Spring River Country

Post by springriver_chick Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:21 am

]Since there are virtually no jobs in the Quad Cities other than a few minimum wage jobs, I notice there's a lot of entreprenurial spirit up there as well as a lot of financial risk in these hard economic times. The best I could hope to do for health benefits is to teach school which is a huge paycu for me, although housing and taxes are much cheaper up there not to mention no private school tuition needed. Was thinking about something like a "Pink Jeep Tour" like they have in Sedona Arizona to do in the summertime to make some part-time income only it would be something like "Spring River" tour. There's so much history in the area, it's hard to pin down all of the places of interest. What are your ideas for the tour?

springriver_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down