Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» HOW TO FIND HONEST CONTRACTOR --- CHEROKEE VILLAGE AR
TOWN CENTER EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 2:55 pm by Chuck K

» Visit to Cherokee Village, Hardy, Ash Flat
TOWN CENTER EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 pm by trout

» SCUBA DIVING IN LAKE OMAHA
TOWN CENTER EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 am by Guest

» Cost to get water meter & hydrant and electric meter with 120v plug.
TOWN CENTER EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 pm by Chuck K

» Restaurant Reviews
TOWN CENTER EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm by Guest

» Golf course restaurants
TOWN CENTER EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 11:19 pm by Guest

» Solar panels working great!!!!!
TOWN CENTER EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm by j3topgun

» Vacation Rentals
TOWN CENTER EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 10:59 am by Guest

» Village Mart opened?
TOWN CENTER EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:53 pm by Guest

» Cherokee Village Arkansas Gift Lots
TOWN CENTER EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 pm by Paul2CV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of CherokeeVillageAR.net Forum on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Cherokee Village Arkansas Forum CherokeeVillageForum.com by CherokeeVillageAR.net on your social bookmarking website

TOWN CENTER

4 posters

Go down

TOWN CENTER Empty Re: TOWN CENTER

Post by Paul2CV Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi Forum,

In the recent auction of Mr. Daggett's properties, it was striking to me that many of the commercial parcels did go but not Town Center. It really seems that there is a reluctance to take on this project by investors. I truly think this is a mistake. Only wish I had the resources and time. With a few people on this Forum and some I know around town I think that a series of attractive and creative shops could be made to work with the right terms and a shared vision.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:28 pm

I agree that more promotion would be needed. What I keep coming back to here is the "early history" of CV. Stores, insurance, title company, eating -- like Sitting Bulll -- gift shop, supermarket did make it once in Town Center. The population in the Village is and was adequate. What has made it hard now is the 4 lane and places like Walmart. When folks had no choice but to shop locally, it worked. I stilll think that if TC were made quaint and nice enough with several stores, coffee bar, and offices, people really would support it. But I think it needs to be a comprehensive plan. A store at a time will just be picked off. You need a bunch of them launching at the same time to draw.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:40 am

Paul one thing I think any business must think about is size and location. Like I mentioned once before an Aldi would be nice in that location but it would have to be sized smaller to fit the area and needs. A UPS store would be nice since they offer much more that just mailing a package. The local PO is very nice but a UPS store offers, printing, signs, packaging of items document scanning, and more.
A nice coffee/wifi/bakery shop would be a great place for people to mix. The biggest problem I see is demographics and money to spend. A local craft shop would be nice but it would have a hard time making I believe. With all the natural beauty of the area I am surprised that someone has not pushed an all nature experince for families or hunters/fishermen. Packaging lodging, meals and trips to hunt,fish, photo workshops, hiking, school trips for biology classes, you name it is here. And I have noticed thru the years that advertising needs to be used more. Alot of stuff is missed by locals just for not knowing it is here or happening.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:46 am

Hi Forum,

Okay, pure fantasy here. What is the best possible of all worlds would you like to see in Town Center in terms of stores and businesses?

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:06 pm

Hi Forum,

Let me add to my post below. I really think this sale of Town Center is a watershed moment for the Village. If it becomes a "failure" by some hit and run speculator it will scream out "failure" about the Village itself. Town center needs a comprehensive plan with genuine imagination by someone who really cares about CV and not just a bit of business speculation. I really hope it falls into good hands.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 am

Hi Forum,

We've been talking a lot about the importance and economic potential of Town Center. There's a post now on the Forum about Mr. Daggett's retirement and the auctioning off of the properties Mr. Daggett holds. One of those properties is Town Center. It would be fantastic to have a group of folks who love this Village invest and develop a comprehensive plan. We stand at another historic turning point.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi Trout, SRC, Flathead, and Mike,

Trout, your idea is interesting. Frankly, I would not want "shopping plaza" busy. An Aldi might push in that direction, but maybe not. For the record, my "coffee shop" idea (and I think SRC as well) is not really about food. It would be like a private Starbucks. What I think is that we need to try some new ideas there. I'm not interesting in competing against places like Lakeview and Village Mart. They do a fine job. I do think that there is need for a place to sit -- in and out -- and just plain socialize. A really good combination would be Starbucks type coffee store with ice creaam.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:40 am

Mike how about a reduced sized Aldi type grocery store. Sized to fit the needs plus like Walmart having a Mickey D inside they could have a coffee shop area maybe on an outside wall with a patio for customers. And promoting would have to be a high priority for all the businesses there.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:30 pm

Here's my take on Town Center.

The beauty of Town Center is its great location, right in the heart of Cherokee Village, location, location, location! It is convenient to most all of CV's population.

However..... The reason that TC is never full of thriving businesses is once again, location, location, location, and..... the habits of a majority of CV residents as well as the same habits of the majority of residents in Ash Flat, Hardy, and Highland.

That's not a put down. It's the truth, it's human nature, and even in small town America life is faster moving than decades past and people want to not waste what little time they have. It's simply too far, out of the way, and inconvenient for any non-resident of the village to bother with. There's nothing very compelling to get someone in Ash Flat to drive all that way off the 4 lane to get to TC. Strike 1.

Next, the residents of CV, many retired, just don't spend a bunch of money if they don't have to. Again, that's not intended to be a put down, it's just reality and very normal for this area. It's part of its charm. This is quaint, rural Cherokee Village, not Palm Beach. Strike 2.

Town Center is not a bad place at all, but its location makes it not a hot spot for a new business trying to make it. It will be a tough road and history documents that. The history of stores opening and then closing their doors soon thereafter makes people nervous to even try. Strike 3.

What is the obvious and most compelling business to bring into Town Center in Cherokee Village, Arkansas? It's simple in my view, and that is a grocery store a decent enough size to be competitive with the local grocery stores, but obviously not a massive store that would take all of TC. Let it take half of it. Even if prices were just slightly higher than Wally World in AF, I believe it would still thrive, especially with soon to be $4.00 gallon gas. Who actually likes driving to Ash Flat to walk into the mundane and milktoast that is Walmart? Not me. I hate the place, yet like the rest of us, we're sucked into the place to save the money and they have the goods we need. Also, can you imagine a good, small grocery store in the area that had not one single expired food item in the entire store? Maybe I'm asking for the moon, but if it had that reputation of not having expired food on the shelves, I would have to believe that grocery store would do very well. I believe more CV residents would flock to TC if some anchor small grocery store would take a chance at it, and that would springboard TC up to a more thriving status again hopefully.

As to another coffee shop/greasy spoon, I think the area really might support another one, but it would take some business away from Carols obviously.

I think for now, be happy with what's there, and really hope nothing else leaves. There is a certain small town charm that TC has and that won't go away.

Thoughts?

mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:14 pm

Welcome Flathead,

In terms of Town Center's potential, I can't help but remember the history. There was a time when Town Center was a central hub and had real businesses -- including a supermarket. In fact, City Hall is the site of the former Liberty Supermarket. I suspect that it was the birth of the 4 lane that really killed everything. Still, I think that a quality/specialty coffee shop with some outdoor seating behind the Post Office would fly. And it wouldn't compete with Village Mart. It would just draw more folks to TC.

Lakeview has a packed parking lot much of the time, and that's just up the road. People do travel downtown to the bank, haircut, Post Office. Why can't a quality coffee shop work at Town Center? My sense is that Town Center can come back with a few decent anchor stores.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Hey Flahead, you forgot about that dead spot called city hall. And that paint color, wish they would return to the original color. This was also designed by Faye Jones. He would cry seeing that color.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by flathead Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Nothing real good in town Center except for having the recycle drop off like last week. It's always good for that. Other than that I go to the post office.

flathead

Back to top Go down

Post by trout Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:11 am

You know Paul Town Center is a tough cookie. It is a nice place but in a bad location for most villagers and outside travelers.. That is sad because it is a nice place. Many businesses have come and gone and we all would like to see all the areas full and making a living. I would love a good bakery and the coffee shop sounds like a great idea. with wifi and all the goodies that go with a coffee shop.

trout

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi SRC,

On reflection, I could imagine wanting to keep the office area clean of a food operation. Perhaps there is also concern about the Village Mart, which is a fine operation. As a practical matter, the idea we are discussing here would not involve any heavy food presence nor would it compete with anything the Village Mart is up to at this point. The advantage of Town Center location is the vitality it might bring to the heart of the Village.

By the way, a while back I think that you posted on the Post Office and the cuts to the US postal system. We have a great little local Post Office in Town Center. My understanding is that it is a "contracted" operation and therefore would seem in line with the overall cost-saving plans. I sure want it to stay put!

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

TOWN CENTER Empty village expresso

Post by springriver_chick Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm

I talked to King-Rhodes awhile back but Daggett or whomever controls the commercial didn't want a coffee shop--i dont know what the reason was--they were trying to push Highland and the old Chick-A-Roo building.

springriver_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi SRC,

That's a great coffee shop concept! I bet the teepee will catch on. There's something a little ironic about the whole thing. I suspect there's never been a cup of coffee in a real teepee in the history of the world -- let alone a blender drink!

In Town Center, there is a considerable amount of open office space. There is also sidewalk table potential. I'm talking about the ground level office units behind the Post Office. It would help to create the "buzz" the 2030 plan envisions as people congregate. Anyway, I think it is a low-cost startup with potential.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

TOWN CENTER Empty Town Center

Post by springriver_chick Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:52 pm

Hey Paul:

How bout a "Village Coffee" place like this:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/11567

springriver_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul2CV Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:27 pm

Hi SRC,

All I can say is that ANY one less reason to go to Walmart would be appreciated.

A Red Box sounds good to me. Wouldn't mind getting an expresso machine in Town Center with some decent blender drinks for the summer.

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by springriver_chick Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Is the post office going to stay after all the rumors of closings across the country? I would like to see a "Red Box" video rental machine at Town Center--the video store next to the movie theatre closed and you have to drive to Walmart to rent movies.

springriver_chick

Back to top Go down

Post by lov2fish Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:59 am

I think I heard a bait shop is opening somewhere but not sure. Maybe at the Sequoyah in out storage?

lov2fish

Back to top Go down

Post by resident Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:59 am

Town Center needs a gas station again but I know it's not worth it for him to get the tanks going again. Too bad. Hey, the pizza is good at the market though. How about a good full service tackle shop with bait, beer, ice, pop, and lots of good advice on local fishing? That would be great, but I know I'm dreaming.

resident

Back to top Go down

TOWN CENTER Empty TOWN CENTER

Post by Paul2CV Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Hi Forum,

I would like to see posted a comprehensive list of the stores and services now in Town Center and ideas that you may have about needed services. The Village Mart and deli is excellent. Tom's Shortcuts is the place to go for a solid men's haircut and the best political news in town. Th Post Office is very handy and friendly. So is the bank. But there's room for growth. My sense is that there are many who are scared to try something right now. If you felt confident, what would you want to try in Town Center in terms of a store or service?

Paul2CV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down